Trauma & PTSD Counseling
When an individual experiences an overwhelming and extremely tense event, it can lead to trauma. Trauma can impact your sense of security which can lead to unbearably anxious and helpless feelings.
PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder and is a mental health condition that's rooted in experiencing or witnessing a frightening, traumatic event. Symptoms may include:
- Severe anxiety
- Uncontrollable and overpowering thoughts about the event or occurrence
Our experienced therapists are trained in EMDR and other trauma-informed therapies. We can help you regulate your central nervous system by reducing and/or eliminating distressing symptoms. Feel better faster, stay better longer.
The trauma an individual can experience is not objective. This means that what is traumatic to one person may not be traumatic to another.
Additionally, the more terrified or abandoned the individual feels, the more likely the person is to develop PTSD.
EMDR Therapy can free individuals from their trauma symptoms by using the healing psychotherapy process.
EMDR Therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
Supported by more than 30 years of research, EMDR is effective in treating Post Traumatic Stress, phobias, panic attacks, anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, stress, sexual and physical abuse, disturbing memories, complicated grief, and chronic pain, among other symptoms. The World Health Organization, American Psychiatric Association, US Department of Veterans Affairs, and Department of Defense recommend EMDR as an effective treatment for trauma. Wellness Connection has experienced therapists trained in EMDR. If you are considering EMDR, you should know that distressing, unresolved memories may surface throughout the therapeutic process. Clients may experience physical sensations and retrieve images, emotions, and sounds associated with distressing memories or events. Subsequent to the treatment session, the processing of incidents or material may continue, and other dreams, memories, flashbacks or feelings may surface.
Let us help you overcome distressing symptoms that are negatively impacting your life. We're committed to providing you quality counseling that will last long-term.
Trauma can lead to...
- Feelings of numbness and disconnectivity
- Feeling unable to trust people around them
- Anxiety or depression
- Experiencing flashbacks to the traumatic experience
- Feeling upsetting emotions
You should seek counseling for trauma or PTSD if...
- You (or the individual) are unable to form a sustaining, close relationship of any kind.
- You (or the individual) are suffering from intense anxiety, fear, or depression.
- You (or the individual) are can’t successfully function at work, home, or school.
- You (or the individual) are using drugs or alcohol to self-medicate and/or manage symptoms.
- You (or the individual) are emotionally disconnected or feel numb to your surroundings.
- You (or the individual) are experiencing horrifying and realistic memories, alarming nightmares, or frightening flashbacks.
- You (or the individual) are in a constant state of avoidance from anything that reminds you of the traumatic experience.