Trauma & PTSD Counseling
When an individual experiences an overwhelming and extremely tense event, it can lead to trauma. Trauma can impact your sense of security which can lead to unbearably anxious and helpless feelings.
PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder and is a mental health condition that's rooted in experiencing or witnessing a frightening, traumatic event. Symptoms may include:
- Severe anxiety
- Uncontrollable and overpowering thoughts about the event or occurrence
The trauma an individual can experience is not objective. This means that what is traumatic to one person may not be traumatic to another.
Additionally, the more terrified or abandoned the individual feels, the more likely the person is to develop PTSD.
An individual’s reaction to trauma is their normal response to a specific abnormal occurrence. It is never ok to judge someone’s reaction to trauma.
EMDR Therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
We offer EMDR trauma therapy at the Wellness Connection. EMDR can free individuals from their trauma symptoms by using the healing psychotherapy process.
Let us help you overcome your trauma & PTSD. We're committed to providing you quality counseling that will last long-term.
Trauma can lead to...
- Feelings of numbness and disconnectivity
- Feeling unable to trust people around them
- Anxiety or depression
- Experiencing flashbacks to the traumatic experience
- Feeling upsetting emotions
You should seek counseling for trauma or PTSD if...
- You (or the individual) are unable to form a sustaining, close relationship of any kind.
- You (or the individual) are suffering from intense anxiety, fear, or depression.
- You (or the individual) are can’t successfully function at work, home, or school.
- You (or the individual) are using drugs or alcohol to self-medicate and/or manage symptoms.
- You (or the individual) are emotionally disconnected or feel numb to your surroundings.
- You (or the individual) are experiencing horrifying and realistic memories, alarming nightmares, or frightening flashbacks.
- You (or the individual) are in a constant state of avoidance from anything that reminds you of the traumatic experience.